The Nutritional Benefits of Worm Castings
Worm castings are composed of an active biological mixture that includes enzymes, plant matter, bacteria, animal manure, and earthworm cocoons. These cocoons contain eggs that eventually hatch and produce worms that greatly enrich your soil. In combination with the other ingredients in worm castings, these worms stimulate plant growth because the plants absorb the nutrients in the mixture quickly and easily. The main reason that nutrients are absorbed quickly is that worm castings are bursting with water-soluble nutrients that are easy for the plants to accept. Other benefits of worm castings include the following:
- The topdressing is capable of enhancing aeration as well as building up the soil structure.
- Many people like that worm castings are odorless.
- Worm castings form a barrier in the soil that shields plants from extreme pH levels.
- Worm castings improve the soil’s ability to retain water.
- The use of worm casting reduces the likelihood of many root diseases such as root rot.
- The product can be used with almost anything, because it is gentle enough that it won’t burn seeds or roots.
Where to Use Worm Castings?
Worm castings can be used for almost anything in your yard. Consider the following options:
- Use large amounts of worm castings on new lawns.
- Utilize worm castings as a topdressing for lawns that are already established.
- Incorporate worm castings into the surface soil levels of your raised beds.
- Work worm castings into the soil that surrounds already established vegetables or flowers.
- Insert worm castings into the bottom of your planting hole to help transplants thrive.
- Spread worm castings on your compost pile to speed along the process.
- Mix worm castings into your soil for potted plants in the house.
- Add worm castings to the soil around your rose bushes.
Worm Castings Tea
Many horticulturalists recommend using worm castings to create a “tea” to be used to water plants. If you water with worm castings tea, your plants have the advantage of gaining rich nutrients every time you water.
Contact Whittier Fertilizer to find out more about how you can use worm castings on your lawn and in your gardens!